Wednesday 23 November 2016

Day 1: Greetings, from the Big Apple!

Hello!!!

WHAT a trip it has been, just to get here.



This is my lockscreen, in case I lose my phone. 

Funky shuttle bus driver-- I had some really weird people in the bus ride. They were drunk and were going to Bali and said "awww sh•t I hope they don't stop me!! I'm packing all the weed man ahhaahahahahha" and complimented the driver by saying he's a "sick, mad, c•nt"... Charming...





If you hadn't already heard, it's been a struggle. At check-in for Sydney, our tickets weren't being recognised. After some panicking from us and the QANTAS staff, we found out our travel agent(or in their defence; the flight company) had informed us it was a direct flight from Sydney to JFK (with a stop over to LAX, which we didn't have to get off for). It was the reason we chose the tickets in the first place. However, the check-in lady said that this was "really wrong" (with several tsk's in between), and that our ticket is only valid to LAX.



WHAT????????????????






Meeting up with Char... before we knew anything was wrong
*sigh*


That mother walked her child the entire way from the check in to their seats with him on top of the suitcase like that... thought he'd fall off tbh

Char laughing at my dorking out and excessive picture taking.... But happy to be reunited with her laptop.

Thankfully, without charge (even though we had paid for a trip all the way to NY but whatever), she redirected a domestic flight for us from LA to NYC. The conditions were that we must check out at LAX, run over to the Delta Airlines terminal, re-check in and go to customs, and make it to our flight in under 2hrs





Needless to say, we were stressed about making it for the next flight.

We went through customs and Char was pulled over at every point. I guess she looks nothing like she did from year 8. I passed through easily, mwahaha.

While Char was being x-rayed in this weird tube machine, I frantically grabbed all of our bags and devices.

... Except for one.

Her laptop.

BUT HEY, IN MY DEFENCE, I LITERALLY PICKED UP EVERY OTHER PIECE WE HAD, AND THAT WAS A LOT. I DIDN'T EVEN SEE CHAR PUT IT THROUGH INITIALLY. 

We rushed to the gate with 15 mins to get some food and line up.

So we did, and I called my godmother (Kerri) and my mother to calm them down and plan what to do for the next part of our trip.

I call this look....... trendy Pinterest mum

The nonchalant "Jeremy Childs" pose




When we hopped on and found our seats, Char looks up and goes, "Did you get my laptop?"

"No, why? Isn't in your carry-on bag?" 

"No, it had to be in a separate tray in customs!"

We were sat in the middle of the plane (NOT the seats we paid for, mind you) so we had quite a few people watching as we looked inside each of the bags we brought on board.

Just before take off, Char asked the flight attendants to help.

We accepted out defeat and prayed that they would find it (and ship it either to her home our here).

The seatbelt sign lit up, and I began filming the take off-- but we were interrupted because a flight attendant came out of nowhere and handed Char her laptop!!! 

Hooray!!!


The next 14 hours was pretty painful, and I had to take 2 anti-nauseous pills because the flight was pretty bumpy (particularly over Hawaii).




Everybody closed the window blinds around 4pm AU, and by then Char and I felt sleepy too and tried to nap. It wasn't that successful, as I was practically awake the entire time. We decided to watch some Pride and Prejudice (Collin Firth <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3), and that made us drowsy but by the time we packed it away, we were wide awake again!

I had fallen asleep at 11pm but the flight attendants started to serve breakfast. That was a pretty weird feeling-- eating breakfast at 12am.

MMMMMMM airplane food (Dinner wasn't that bad)

tbh the garlic bread was 10/10 I would eat it off an aeroplane situation 

beginning to look like crap... probably 10hrs in

Hot chocolates and Mr Darcy <3 <3 

100% looking tired 

Char let me borrow her swanky Indonesian eye mask :D 


I slept through passing the equator, damnit.

Meet Harold. Bloody Harold had a large EOS camera, but still used the automatic settings. Harold continued to take shoddy photos because he didn't realise the noob he was being. Harold is in most of my trip pictures. 
Almost there!!


Questionable "home-styled" muffins


We ran off the plane ASAP once we touched down, but my luggage was one of the last to be loaded off (Char's was one of the first, lucky). Unfortunately, there was no time for food once we got to the LAX gates. The Delta people were really friendly, and upgraded us to "Sky Priority". It sounded cool but really it meant we sat up front (still behind business class), and got to hop on/off first. We sat second from the front, which meant we still got the screens on the seat in front. I never watched a movie on either plane ride, but Char watched Brooklyn Nine Nine, and the Secret Life of Pets. We started to watch Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, but the script was terrible and food began to be served.

The food was so gross, I didn't want anything. I bought something just in case, but once I saw what I bought I lost any appetite I had. I just slept for the rest of the trip. The last hour I talked to the girl who sat next to us, and she told us about how for the past 4 months she'd been a transfer 3rd year uni student at UNSW. She's from the Upper East Side of NYC, and immediately I brought up Gossip Girl. That was fun.

Charlotte wondering if she made a mistake

She took back my swanky Indonesian mask :'( 

Struttin' in like the Sky PRIORITY she is




Looking dead

The windows were closed the entire time :((( I didn't get to see any of this trip 
Biggest prick I've ever met....... he sat in front of me and constantly judged my attire... then complained constantly about the economy service, but reminded everybody on the damn plane he was Sky Priority.... he had this irritating British accent to top it off (I wish I had ear plugs to block him our on the trip). I may have managed to hit him with my carry on when we left. 

Once we got to JFK, I had enough. I needed a shower, food, and sleep. Kerri organised a lovely (and very expensive) limo for us, and the driver (Steve) was awesome! He gave us a tour in Manhattan, it was a great way to safely see the city at night. I saw 9 Burger King/Baskin Robin joints within 3 streets. We also saw the big Macy's.

STEVE, THE LEGENDARY LIMO DRIVER 

Chilly Char in -5ºC (I actually didn't mind it-- good wake up call)

STEVE GAVE ME THE LIMO KEYS YAS

a lil cold 

Rad stretch SUV-- so many celebs have gone in this car. Yesterday Sofia Vegara sat where Char was. I was sitting where Tom Brady was a week ago. Steve was cool as heck. 

I could feel the presence of celebrity booty's where mine sat 

Feeling fabuloooous

Hamilton posters surrounding the Freedom Tour 

NYPD!! FREEEEZE!! (Char rolled her eyes when I dorked out)


One strange thing we saw was a guy peeing over heaps of people, with one guy filming it, and two people beating the pee-er with umbrellas. Classic New York. 





We made it to Kerri's at about 9:30, and they welcomed us with dinner immediately, which was the best. I had gone 13hrs without food at this point, so I was very happy. Kerri gave us a tour of the fabulous, vintage home, and made a little set up of nibblies and lavender spray (to help make us sleep). I also met the au pair, Em, who is so so so so so nice. She's from NZ and 18, so we all got to talk about quite a bit with similar interests.

I completely unpacked all my stuff before sleeping so yay I'm all settled in.



 Char and I turned lights off at 12:30am, she was out as soon as her head hit the pillow. I was up for another 20 mins or so, but woke up at 2:55am to hear Ryan (the youngest son of K +W, aged 5) crying. Poor Ryan had a rash all over him,. I think I heard that Ryan had a 145ºF temperature, which is about 62ºC... Kerri, Walt, and Ryan quickly left to the hospital. They think he has mono, but nothing has been confirmed yet. I'm writing this post at 5:40pm and Walter has only just left to pick up Kerri and Ryan. Poor Ryan. (Hopefully it isn't contagious, whatever he has).

I slept from about 6am-12:30pm. Oops. IDK how that happened. When I woke up I felt like I needed another 3hrs sleep. But I made Char (who snores, hilariously) and I get up. Only Walt and Em were home. Walter made me my first PB&J, and ahhhhhhhh I loooooved it! I just ate another one, with a different flavour jelly. W said he'll make fluffernutters (I think?) soon-- apparently they're peanut butter with a marshmallow cream????????? YUM!!! Can't wait to try.

Mum bought me the BEST pjs ever..... so so so soft

Chef Walter

THE BEST 

American Apple and Cinnamon toast makes my throat close up, just by the smell of it........ a lil scare I had this morning, my tongue swelled up heaps. Through it out once I knew THIS delicious treat was the culprit. 
Lauren.... it was 4:30 and she broke her record-- banana on toast, once again!
Watching Alvin and the Chipmunks, as well as Ice Age 5
M y broken glasses, barely staying together with sticky tape (I need to find an emergency optometrist ahhhhh) 

Char slept about 12hrs worth, which I envy


Since waking up, Char has watched the Vampire Diaries, and I Facetimed my mum to give her a tour of the house. I didn't realise I called her at 5:30am... oops. After the call, I've just been importing all my photos and videos for this blogpost. Apparently when Kerri and Ryan return we'll be having stir-fry for dinner. EDIT: IT'S 7:30, KERRI JUST GOT BACK W RYAN, WE ARE HAVING PIZZA INSTEAD YAY! Walter said after Thanksgiving he wants us to try American lobster....... I'm not sure if I'll like it, but boy, he raved about it, I guess I'll have to try!! We may go to their lake house during the Thanksgiving break, but Char and I have a Pizza Tour on Saturday so we may not be able to join :(



It's taken about 4 hours to create this post, it's the longest we'll probably make. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving so this week will be pretty chill. While writing this post, Char has been watching Alvin and the Chipmunks (and then Ice Age) with Trey.

I hope you enjoy our updates in New York, we are missing you all!!! 

From Calypso. 

7 comments:

Will said...

You guys are so cute, this was great. Glad you made it through all the drama! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Unknown said...

Seems like you've had plenty of struggles lol

Anonymous said...

This is the best 15 mins I've spent at work today :-)Have fun ladies <3

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photos and effort Calypso. Love the blog. Hug Cha for me. Have a fabulous time�� Janine

Anonymous said...

First prize for best schoolies trip ever lmao

Unknown said...

Fabulous Sweety, you are sooo funny, and tired zzzzzzzz can you believe it??? Wow you've had a holiday already in 2 days - ya' gotta watch some Vacation movies with Chevy Chase, please say hello to the fam for me, bloody 35oC here in Brisvegas, cricket's on, wanna know the score?

Unknown said...

do you need for me to add anyone to your blog? Tizzy, Debbie, ???

Post a Comment