Sunday 11 December 2016

Day 19: BROADWAY, BABY!!!

YAAAAAAY!!!


Despite the struggles we endured; today was awesome.
I watched a little bit of the Social Network. I've wanted to watch it for years but never found the time (but adoooooore Jesse)... I had to get ready for such a big day so I guess I'll continue it later, when we're snowed in. 

Snow boots were actually v painful to walk in :(

I wore black eyeshadow but u can't tell bc of my eyelid shape gr8


We caught a bus at 11:30am which got us into the city by 12:20pm, and we followed uptown (3 blocks away from the bus station where we started) to where I had to collect the tickets.



Our travel agent's documents strictly told us the place we picked up the tickets were not where the show were. 

It gave us a different address, on Broadway, 20 blocks away, for the actual performance.

From 1-2pm, we had lunch and leisurely strolled to the venue. It gave us 5 mins to find our seats (Chicago started at 2:30pm).





Okay even I am getting sick from all the pizza


But oh. 

Of course, Calypso and Charlotte cannot find their venue so easily.

That wouldn't be like the travel agent to do so...

I'm sure you can all guess how this goes.

Our freaking travel agent gave us the wrong damn address. After emphasising how the ticket pick up was a different building to the performance................ IT WAS THE SAME PLACE, AFTER ALL. 

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH


So Char and I ran 20 blocks. That's like 30 mins of walking (bc pedestrians in USA don't really have any right of way, you just have to hope you're not hit by a cab or wait 40 years for the pedestrian's light to shine) in 10 mins.

I was spinning out bc I feared the doors would be closed. We couldn't get a hold of the box office's number. There was a traffic jam on 8th Ave so their was no use getting a cab. We had to run.

When we got there, I missed the beginning of the opening number "All That Jazz", damnit.

But oh well, they let us in. Hooray!!

We were so close to the stage (4 rows away)-- that was awesome. The numbers were perfection. They didn't really have a plot like the movie's adaption, but it still had all the best from Chicago. I listen to the soundtrack, easily, at least 2x a week.

I'm pretty sure I lost my Chanel lipstick under one of the seats :( (come back to me, my love!!)

OH SPEAKING OF THE SEATS----- they're like airplane distance. It was super squishy. I didn't approve, espesh while wearing my boiling snow boots.

Ohhhh well. I saw my first Broadway play!! AND IT WAS THE BEST!

They made Chicago way more upbeat than in the movie. Also Roxie was more ditsy, and less manipulative. That made it more enjoyable. I was a bit uncomfortable by all the men who played strippers, but eh, whatever. It was a sight to see (note to self----- never watch this musical again, unless it has been confirmed that there are no hairy men nipples-------- gah!!). They also wore tight leather and suede pants.

Most of you know I adore Rocky Horror. You'd think I'd be comfortable with it.

But Tim Curry in fishnets just works.

These men did not work it.

Oh no, no no nonononnooononooooooo they did not.

The crowd gave the cast a standing ovation at the end. That's a good indication for how great the performance was.

When Char and I stepped outside-- IT WAS SNOWING!!!!!!!!

The stage/orchestra 










I SAW SNOW FOR THE FIRST TIME :D :D :D 


It was fluffy and kept landing in my eye (assault, I tell you!!)-- but it was so pretty with the Christmas lights and the normal NYC glow. <3 <3 <3 It wasn't cold (or maybe I just had enough layers on), so it was really enjoyable to stroll in as we made out way back to the bus terminal. On our way back, I also finally bought a I <3 NY shirt yay :) If anybody wants one, please tell me, I found super cheap ones. However they only had XS or XL.

Char mistakenly read the weekday (rather than weekend) time table, so I was an we were idiots and danced stood in front of everybody at the right bus stop (who were catching the right bus) for almost half an hour. Thankfully I realised what we did before the bus got there. Phew! Didn't miss the bus. 



This bumper sticker read: "
"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in ENGLISH, thank a SOLDIER."

We walked through the snow on the way back from the bus stop. That was pretty. I don't like the sensation, however. It was like when your feet do the squeaky thing on sand. Ughhh. But it was super pretty as we passed the Christmas lit houses.








I ate a meatball sub for dinner. Char had avocado toast. We tried Tootsie Rolls (mega long ones-- too much!!).


ONE OF MY FAVE BOOK BLOGGERS DID THIS YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY 


Now Char is downstairs watching TVD, and I am finishing up the blog. We may go to the museums tomorrow but we'll see how the weather goes. Also I'm tried from today.

Having a very merry, white Christmas time,

From Calypso.

0 comments:

Post a Comment