Thursday 22 December 2016

Day 30: The Met

Today had a few ups and downs. I just a bit of bad luck. Like getting lost in the subways.

In the morning I tried to book the Gossip Girl Tour. This tour is impossible, I swear. Poor service too. Let's just hope we can do it tomorrow (they only allow you to book 1 day before the tour, ridiculous!). UPDATE: I BOOKED IT YAY! 3hrs of puuuure Gossip Girling- yaaas!!

Char was feeling under the weather again, but at 10:30am left with Em to go to Target. At 12:30pm I caught a bus to the city, not knowing what my plans were. I just knew I wanted to do something.

After reading my tour book in Maccas (people cut in line EVERYWHERE around Times Square, so annoying!) I decided I'll head over to the Museum Mile to pick a museum to hang around in. Here's the dealio: I'm really good at navigating Midtown, but all the museums are located at Upper East Side. I'm particularly confident in the West, so this was a bit daunting.

I was lead to 3 incorrect subways, which sucked bc I had to pay the fare 2x to get help from the outside (then to re-enter). I was lead to 4th West St!!! DO YOU KNOW HOW WRONG THAT IS??? THAT'S BASICALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT I ASKED: 85th St, UPPER EAST SIDE. 

Oh well, I caught the dodgy Bronx subway, then caught a bus through Central Park to get to the other side. It took a minute, tops, to cross from one side of the park. Crazy... people say it's so big yet I cut through the widest section (I'm pretty sure).

By the time I had finally found my way, it was 3:30pm. The museum starts closing at 5:15pm. Craaaaaaaaap. I knew I was in a tight schedule, and thankfully I didn't have to line up for tickets bc I had my pass. The info desk told me to follow the dotted lines and I should see just about everything.

I spent most of my time in the Ancient Egyptian section.Mainly bc I was looking for stuff I studied in Ancient this year... I should note that this museum was awesome, way less artsy and more history based, which I am thoroughly entertained by, however their displays were basic: they only had (proper) rooms dedicated for the 12th and 30th Dynasties!!!! Who cares?? Wouldn't people want to see King Tut stuff???? I thought that's who most would know, anyways. Overall, it was beautiful. 

It was very cool to see the artefacts in person. I've copied and pasted so many in my presentations, sourced from the Met. I took a bunch of pics. I should also note that I once read that when you're on holidays, don't bother taking photos of the site. You can easily Google better quality photos of that. The photos you value are the ones of you in them. So if you want proper photos of the displays, go onto their website. The photos I'll attach are not the best quality or content.

I was super pumped for Egypt and the Met's music presentation, but unfortunately I never got to see the musical instruments over the centuries :( They're doing renovations on it.

I saw the main displays across the first floor, but not really the second. It didn't intrigue me as much, except for their musical section. Which wasn't available. So I decided to leave after that. I forgot about their separate building for Medieval and classical artwork. Oops.


Damnit.......... oh well. I can always return.

Pictures: 


I would like this pls and ty 




@Doc translate pls and ty


Woah look how wide??

yay finally found something I'd recognise

I see an ank oooooh


Things Seti + Ramesses had



This had no label??

AYYYYE SAGGY MAN BOOBS AND A POT BELLY! I KNOW WHA THIS IS!

Horemheb is a new buddy of mine, sharing the same feminine features as I











Oop signet rings


Interesting, could've used this as a source (from Akhenaten time, showing intimate family positions) 





Yet no ducks


AYYE IT'S MY MAIN PAL; AK















SHE LOOKED SO HAPPY I WANTED TO JOIN IN

LOOK AT HER








ayyye whattup my main man



Damn Perseus



Venus (looking way more fragile than I pictured her to be)



Just for future notice; I, too, would like my face over a tea set




Super cute



Walking around UES


Who is he?????? We'll never know 


I didn't walk through this bc I didn't want to get lost for the millionth time


FYI They're huge

I didn't know this is what they wore??? Very interesting 







I think I read that this was in R's tomb



FYI I'm pretty sure they made sure to make all the tombs face east which is cool and thoughtful



The floor around the Ancient Greece section was interesting too (impersonating the design? Cool).

Zeus


I resonate with this jug thing


Who's ready to bet that this is labelled "Warrior Vase"

Frescoes woo woo

Inspiration for dancing 

In the Japanese sector (I think)


Damn how much wine do you need 



Me, lost, in the dark, cold

Me, not lost, in the light, warm

Somehow I stuffed this up????????

SAW 2 ADS OF MY FAVES

Me, realising I caught the wrong subway 

FREAKING WEST 4TH

Yay correct subway







I'm not sure what this is but it was for funerals? I think I researched this once but I have forgotten 



These were terrifying IRL 

I like the tiara (pls get me a tiara)





AMARNA BLOCKS




More fashion I had no idea was used


Boo




The only display of Oceania 

HOW MUCH DID THIS GUY OWN DAMN

IK we learned about the 4 different styles of interior decor for Pompeii, but seeing it IRL was a lot more interesting (and pretty, they did a good job playing with illusions)


Oop I know what that piece of latin means

Faun/Satyr



I'm feeling it



I SEE TORCS. GOLD TORCS. I RESEARCHED SO MUCH INTO THAT.









Cute



V pretti



Videos:





So much "study material" for Amarna/Later Period (but it's all fragmented) 










I lost my fave beanie and gloves!! END OF THE WORLD! No seriously it sucked walking out onto the freezing, dark street and not having my beanie or gloves. And then....... I realised I was had walked 10 blocks in the opposite direction. Ugh. Upper East Side is way less crowded than Midtown, so I was a bit freaked out. I didn't know where I was going. I decided to turn back, and on the way I checked into the Met again to see if they had my beanie and gloves in a Lost and Found, which I doubted. BUT WOOHOO! IT WAS THERE! YAY!!!

I caught the correct subway (I asked the info lady at the subway for directions, knew she was wrong, and followed my instinct) to Times Square. You guys, I see that bloody site everyday. I am officially sick of it. The first time was great, but now I'm just disturbed by the freaky Elmo's and Mickey Mouse's who take off their heads sometimes. I now know that under those costumes are old Asian ladies. Who knew??

I bought pizza and strolled into the bus line. I was in a very cheery bus. It was nice. I didn't think NYers could be so happy, but they were on this bus' time. I'll have to remember bus 6:15 has the fun people.

When I got off the bus, I dropped my pizza. Wonderful.

I got home; and pizza was on the table. Woohooooooooo!! Karma, my friends. Karma.

2 sleeps until Christmas,

From Calypso.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done you !

Post a Comment