Thursday 22 December 2016

Day 29: New York Public Library #2

I decided to give NYPL another shot. I regret it.

I'm writing this at 11pm; I'm tired and long story short; the tour wasn't worth it. It was free but I may as well have searched NYPL on Wikipedia. We visited 3 rooms. Stood there for 45 mins each. Very dull. I visited the gift shop and Hamilton Exhibition before the tour began. The gift shop was more interesting than the library. 

What was said in the tour?

A bunch of rich, white guys invested in 2 libraries to make one of the biggest "public" libraries.

I said earlier we only visited 3 rooms.

Why?

Oh yeah, it's because you have to issue an application to the govt. proving you're from an institution or college to research in all the other rooms. You also aren't permitted to borrow anything. 

What kind of crappy library is this? 


The people at the lobby were so cheery, I loved them. The info desk people were so fun to talk to, I miss my librarian ladies at home :/ We discussed the increasing demand of a YA section, and the guy's reply was, "It's embarrassing to not have in this celebrity of a library, a better range." Exactly, mate. I completely agree. He said they officially only supplied children's (Winnie the Pooh is the hardest book to read from that genre, and research resources). My tourguide suggested a new room being installed, but wasn't a fan when I asked about YA or fiction in general (modern/contemporary, not the classics). Tbh I didn't expect any more from him, I'm sure he still views YA fiction with the stigma it held even 10 years ago.

The only YA book I saw in the library was TFIOS. For sale. In the gift shop.

We weren't allowed to take many pictures. Honestly why did I put myself through the 1.5hrs (THEY PROMISED ME 1HR MAX, I WAS DYING TO LEAVE)?????

bored out of my wits, hot close up shot of me 

Fire on the way? Furniture store had been burning for 2 hrs ahhhhh





aka 0 highlights

GUYS IF ANYBODY HAS SUFFERED THE SPAM I SEND OF PURE PUSHEEN, GUESS WHAT I IMPULSIVELY BOUGHT: MY NEW FAVE THING EVER. AH! I LOVE IT! SO MUCH!!! U DONT UNDERSTAND!! I  LOOOOOOVE PUSHEEN <3 <3 <3

I may come back for these socks idk



Leatherbound, hardbacks


The only ones I cared about

I was gonna get a library bag but I already have so many. I ended up buying a shirt, which I'll for sure where more of.

Was reading over this....

.... when I found this! Perf for Hayles... and I.... oops


Was actually gonna buy one (I may later)


If anybody would like to buy me the pizza and books socks, I'd really appreciate that

lol

Of course

I S2G I WAS SO CLOSE TO BUYING IT

I want this now and I've only just graduated

Mr Darcy <3 <3



I don't know any babies to give this to but I wanna

Lions <3 





Danger boi over herrrree!!!!!!




THOUGHT This was just a wooden roof??? U'VE BEEN FOOLED-- IT'S COMPLETELY MADE OUT OF PLASTER. THE WHOLE BUILDING IS. IT'S A LIE. 



ignore the dude that felt the need to move


yes but do fish breathe water, I gotta know




runnING AROUND THE LIBRARY BC I LOST THE GROUP WHILE TAKING PICS


1 sec before my freaking flash decided to come on???????


V famous collection


Most exclusive part of the library 

THIS IS WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE LIBRARY LOOKED LIKE. DO YOU SEE MY ISSUE WITH THE CONTENT? DO YOU???

Looking up at the split level made me feel like I walked into the library scene in Beauty and the Beast (but I'm not Belle, and nobody is giving me an impressive library)


Evolution of literature: Moses


Printing Press

Idk some typing machine from the 20-30s, all press fought to be near the Brooklyn Bridge where drama happened all the time






Only important name we need to know







!!!


3 devout daughters








Our guide said it would be fun to find all the unique birds.......... does he know the definition of interesting or what

Got a cherry on top yay (tasted like the artificial flavour they put in medicine byyyyyyyye)

THE CROSSINGS IN NEW JERSEY. WHAT ARE THEY DOING???


Ultimately the tour blew bc the guide was obviously a librarian, but was giving a tour on the architecture. But he isn't a pro in architecture. He's a pro in books. Which weren't there, as we found out. They're in a warehouse in Princeton, NJ. SERIOUSLY, WHAT KIND OF LIBRARY IS THIS???

Honestly, if you just glance over the photos I took, you can see how interesting the tour looks.

Afterwards I popped back home, my feet killing me. When I returned their was a feast woohoo, for Em leaving on her Christmas break. That was splendid.

omg doggy

bye bye doggy




I called Hayley for 2 hrs. That was nice and chill!

Poor Char isn't feeling well. Oh yeah, if you're wondering what she did, check out her latest vlog. She went to the Natural History Museum. Apparently there was nothing too recognisable from Night at the Museum. I'll keep that in mind for when I visit next week.

Only 3 sleeps until Christmas, woohoo!

Tomorrow I may venture into the city for Barnes and Noble. You may never see me again,

From Calypso.

0 comments:

Post a Comment