Sunday 18 December 2016

Day 25: The Ride

Sorry this blogpost is a day late. I was feeling under the weather (damn you, street food!) but now I'm cool to upload everything, so enjoy!

Over the night, it snowed (I think) about 4 inches. I thought that was a lot. Apparently around where I'm staying; it snows up to 4 feet.

It was freaky catching the bus while it snowed, because snowballs would belt across the massive windows every 10 seconds-- it definitely kept me awake.

We picked up our tickets around the corner from the bus stop, saw some guy yelling at/ (kissing???) a wall. Once we got to the ticket pick up place, I knocked over all their pamphlets and didn't even realise bc my hands were frozen and I lost feeling----- oooooh well. They were super nice and I wish I could've befriended the lady we talked to bc she and I had the same type of humour-- the best kind, in fact. I miss her already.

What is The Ride? 


Well, from what I've gathered, it's a bus tour where random looking people (who are actually actors) on the street act out famous movie scenes around NYC. Ours was the Holiday Edition so it was kind of just pure ????what the heck?????????? goodness. 

We were also given some interesting facts about the sites we passed.

The 2 hosts were a bit weird... like they had the energy (and jokes) of SNL Hosts which is a bit like

pls stop

BUT THEN THEY STARTED SINGING SONGS LIKE HOW I SING MY ORIGINAL SONGS AND IT WAS LIKE I FOUND WHERE I BELONG. 

We were lucky and got to sit upfront. That's probably bc we lined up 25 mins early, standing in the rain (but it's cool we met a super friendly ticket collector from Pennsylvania, who looooved us- just sayin). 

The tour was fairly short, 1.5hrs, but I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it's essential to see, like some of the other tours we did, but if you have a spare $80 in NY, go for it. 

The only negative thing I can say is that the hosts also spoke like they were recording an ASMR track, which was quite unsettling. 

Now what you've all been waitng for: 

Pictures:

SNooooow


She had pizza. I pretty much am sick of pizza.


Performer



Grand Central Terminal


Performer



Imitating the process of evolution, apparently





Ballerina's dancing in Columbus Square 








Videos:

















After the tour, we walked down the NY Public Library. I was soooooo excited. I heard so many great things about it. I could not wait to look at their collection of books. Apparently they had over 75,000.



Pretty Subway

HA HA CHAR STEPPED IN YELLOW SNOW


Find Calypso

Use the Christmas Code: CalypsoDoesNotHaveAMumBod to get .05% off your next posing lesson



Swaying in front of everybody

Blessing everybody with my modelling

I would like to buy everything here (only good thing about NYPL just sayyiinnnng)

Calypso did you finally grow your Beyonce booty back??? My fellow friends, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm hiding my bag underneath to prevent thieves from touching the goods. 


The one moment Char wasn't embarrassed to be around me (also: a tourist couple noticed me modelling and asked for photos)

Lippy the Lion back at it again

What pose is this? We'll never know. Keep the mystery alive, people. 




Naive me, unknowing to how sucky this library actually is

Christmas trees woo woo

Snowy NYC <3

Lol these are Christmas lights but Walter said "these are Jewish!!!"

I miss Bow Thai

It is I....... Marshmallow Model


I couldn't wait-- I had to take a bite before taking a picture!

Ugh. 


But then we actually got in there. I was probably the most disappointed I've been on this entire trip. 

It was safe to say my journey within the library was crap.

So many tourists admired the architecture, which was fabulous, but I saw barely anybody actually appreciating the content inside this giant library.

But then I understood why.

I read into each of the floors and different rooms, and found their range is the worst I've seen.

Sure, they have heaps of books.

But...... sucky books (all around the similar topics).

"Oh maybe it's just an archival library"----- noooope. They haven't specified the entire building is for it, but that's what it suuuure seemed like.

And let's be real; I'm not here for the archives. I'm here for their collection of fiction. Any kind, not just my trashy YA material.

I spent 30 mins in there tops before I ran out. I hated it. So. Much. It was just some swanky building with a poor collection of books. That is not the kind of library I enjoy. I would rather an ugly looking building with the best range than this.

I miss the small branch libraries I visit at home :( I miss my bookclubs :( Somebody please go to my book club's New Years meeting for me. They give out free pizza and nachos and sometimes cake at the Erina meetings.

We returned home and I called Loz for 3 hours. Oops. I remember thinking I should hang up at around 1hr in, but somehow it ended up being 3. Every minute was worth it. 

Immediately I was sick but you don't need details. Poor Char, witnessing me getting sick like a millions times on this trip-- I keep forgetting the dodgy food markets in NYC. Everytime.

I hope you all had a good day,

From Calypso.

0 comments:

Post a Comment